Facing DUI/DWI charges in Maryland is a big deal. Indeed, if you are convicted of the DUI/DWI offense, you could face a driver’s license suspension, a large fine, mandatory alcohol education courses, probation and even jail time. Which is why you need to hire a skilled Maryland DUI/DWI attorney as soon as possible after you are arrested.
But knowing what constitutes a “good” DUI/DWI attorney can be difficult, especially if this is your first run-in with the law. Here’s a list of things to look for when you’re hiring a DUI/DWI attorney.
Lawyer Qualities to Look for
The first things to look for are qualities that your lawyer possesses. Some of these qualities, such as the experience that your lawyer has defending clients in a similar situation as you can be critical to your case’s success. A few of the top characteristics and elements that you should be looking for in your lawyer include:
- Experience. One of the first things to think about when searching for a DUI/DWI lawyer is whether the lawyer with whom you’re meeting is experienced. While there is nothing wrong with a young lawyer who is recently licensed (after all, everyone must start somewhere), you don’t necessarily want such a lawyer practicing on your case. Instead, it is better to hire a lawyer who has years of experience in and out of the courtroom and is familiar with the courts and judges where your case will be held.
- Case results. Don’t hesitate to ask your potential legal representative about some of their past case results, including the number of cases likes your they have handled in the past and what the results of those cases have been. You probably don’t want to hire a lawyer who has a history of losing.
- Background. While you’re asking about your lawyer’s experience and case results, throw in a question or two about their background, too. A lawyer who went to a great law school, worked with a large and prestigious law firm, was a former prosecutor, etc. may have special insight or a unique perspective that could help to win your case.
- Personality. Finally, you’ll be working closely with your lawyer for weeks or months. You want to make sure that your lawyer is someone with whose personality you mesh. If you don’t like your lawyer, you may not trust them, which can be disadvantageous to your case. Your lawyer should not only be someone with whom you can get along, but also patient, hardworking, and committed to your case.
Important Questions to Ask When Looking for a DUI/DWI Attorney
In addition to the qualities that your future lawyer possesses, it’s also a good idea to ask the attorney questions about their method and the DUI/DWI criminal process. Different attorneys will have a different approach; it’s important you hire someone who not only knows what they’re doing but also is scrupulous, fair, and handles your case in the way you deserve. Some important questions to ask when looking for a DUI/DWI lawyer are:
- How will your lawyer assess and manage your case? Before your attorney can make a recommendation about what you should do and how your case should be managed, they will need to thoroughly understand the evidence and charges against you. Once this has been completed, you should ask your attorney about:
- Pleading guilty vs. fighting the charges;
- What your chances are of being found guilty vs. innocent and why;
- What you can expect throughout the process, including the arraignment, hearing, and trial;
- Who will be working on your case; and
- Who you can call with questions.
- What types of access will you have to your attorney? When you hire a lawyer and are paying them to work for you, you have the right to expect them to do exactly that. This means that if you have a question or need to talk to your lawyer, they are available. Unfortunately, some attorneys are so overworked that they pass cases off to less-experienced associates or fail to reply to clients’ inquiries in a timely manner. Find out who will be working on your case and what their availability will be. You should receive regular updates – make sure the attorney agrees.
- How does the lawyer charge? Finally, find out how your attorney charges and how much you can expect to pay. This will vary on a lawyer-to-lawyer basis. In all cases, your fee arrangement should be clear and articulated in writing.
Contact Our Maryland DUI/DWI Lawyer Today
Robert Grabo, owner and principle of Grabo Law, LLC is a highly skilled Maryland DUI/DWI lawyer who has years of experience and knowledge in DUI/DWI law and cares about each and every one of his clients. To schedule a consultation with Grabo Law, LLC, please call today(24/7 availability) at 301-938-7652 or fill out the contact form on the website.