Maryland Civil Litigation Firm
At Grabo Law, LLC, we are committed to fighting aggressively for the rights and interests of each client we serve. Attorney Robert Grabo has extensive experience serving the people of Maryland and the District of Columbia. Our areas of focus are criminal/traffic/DUI/DWI defense, and personal injury/medical malpractice/wrongful death. Attorney Grabo has in-depth knowledge of these areas of the law, and he provides skilled and highly personalized representation for those who need his legal assistance.
Attorney Grabo assists clients with a wide range of criminal matters, including:
- Traffic Violations
- Assault and Battery
- Drug Possession
- Juvenile Delinquency
- Domestic Violence
Misdemeanors vs. Felonies
Criminal charges are divided into two general categories; misdemeanors and felonies. Misdemeanors are less serious criminal acts that are usually punishable by fines and several months of jail time, although some carry longer prison terms. Examples of misdemeanors in Maryland and D.C. may include:
- DUI/DWI without aggravated circumstances
- Reckless driving
- Theft of less than $1,000
- Minor drug possession
- Failure to show up in court
- Second-degree assault
Although misdemeanors are not as serious as felonies, they should not be taken lightly. Convictions can still carry harsh consequences and have a negative impact on your life. For this reason, if you are charged with a misdemeanor, it is important to consult with skilled legal counsel as soon as possible so you understand what you are up against and the best legal options going forward.
Felonies are the most serious types of crimes. In Maryland, a felony is punishable with heavy fines and prison terms starting at one year and going all the way up to the death penalty. Crimes that may be charged as felonies include:
- Thefts of over $1,000
- Aggravated DUI
- Drug trafficking
- Sexual assault
No matter what criminal charges you are facing, a conviction is a very serious matter. Criminal convictions become part of your permanent record, and their existence can make it more difficult to obtain housing, employment, loans, admission to college, and firearms. A criminal conviction can be an even bigger problem for someone who is applying for or wants to maintain a professional license. A licensing agency may deny your application or suspend your existing license, depending on what you are convicted for.
Convictions are also very difficult to remove from your record. In Maryland, a handful of felonies and several types of misdemeanors can be expunged, but you normally need to wait a number of years and fulfill numerous other requirements. On the other hand, if you are charged with a crime and the charge is dropped or dismissed, the case is settled, you are placed on probation without judgment, or you are found not guilty, you can normally qualify for an expungement much sooner. Attorney Grabo works closely with you to review the charges and the circumstances of the case to minimize the negative consequences as much as possible.
Personal injuries can be devastating for those who are injured and their families. Those who suffer severe injuries typically incur thousands (or even tens or hundreds of thousands) of dollars in medical expenses. On top of that, you may have to miss work for an extended period of time and deal with additional physical, emotional, and psychological pain. When a personal injury is the result of reckless or negligent actions by another party, they must be held responsible.
Over the years, attorney Robert Grabo has filed hundreds of lawsuits and recovered millions of dollars in damages for victims of personal injury. Attorney Grabo has in-depth experience with even the most complex injury cases, and he has a strong track record of success going up against well-funded adversaries such as large insurance companies and their teams of expensive lawyers.
Attorney Grabo handles numerous types of personal injury cases, including:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Auto accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, bus accidents, bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, and other types of vehicle accidents. Vehicle crashes happen every day, and most of them are due to some type of negligence or carelessness, such as speeding, reckless driving, distracted driving, and DUI/DWI.
- Premises Liability: A premises owner or occupant owes a duty to take reasonable steps to address all known hazards and keep their property safe. Failure to keep the premises safe can lead to serious and sometimes catastrophic injuries. Common premises liability cases involve slip and fall accidents, dog bites, workplace injuries, and similar hazards.
- Medical Malpractice: When individuals go in to see a medical professional, they have a right to expect competent care. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Higher patient loads and staffing shortages have created problems at many of our medical facilities, leading to various forms of medical malpractice. Examples include misdiagnoses, delayed diagnoses, medication errors, surgical errors, ER mistakes, and preventable birth injuries.
- Wrongful Death: Losing someone close to you is always a painful and heart-wrenching experience. This is made far worse when it is learned that their death was completely preventable and only happened because of another party’s negligence. While no amount of money can bring back a lost loved one, receiving just compensation can help ease the suffering and allow family members to adjust more smoothly to life after they are gone. Attorney Grabo stands up for families of wrongful death victims and fights hard for every dollar of compensation they deserve.
Pursuing a Personal Injury Claim
Personal injury cases can be highly complex and difficult to pursue. It is one thing to know that another party is responsible for your injuries, it is quite another to prove it in a court of law. To be successful with these types of cases, you need the ability to compile all the available evidence and present it in a way that overcomes the arguments of the defense and convinces the court to award full damages.
Attorney Robert Grabo is a skilled litigator and a strong negotiator. Whenever possible, he looks to secure a favorable settlement without the need to go to trial. That said, he is always prepared for whatever legal avenue is necessary. If the other side is not willing to negotiate in good faith, he will be ready to successfully litigate your case in front of a court. If you or a loved one has suffered a personal injury, do not go it alone. Get in touch with attorney Grabo today for a free consultation.